In memory of Dr. Adolphe Lippe, we wish to bring practitioners together around the essential points of the homeopathic doctrine. They are the following:
1) A speedy, gentle and permanent cure is obtained when the medicines used themselves have the ability to produce in healthy individuals morbid symptoms that are similar to those of the disease.
2) Organic changes and other pathological aspects of tissues and organs are the result of a dynamic disruption, not the cause of the disease.
3) The totality of symptoms, subjective and objective, represents the only indication on which to select the appropriate medicine.
4) The only way to learn the properties of medicines, meaning the way they are capable of disturbing the organism, is to test them on healthy persons.
5) To obtain the best clinical results, medicines need to be administered in potentized form, a single one at a time, and in the smallest possible dose just enough to cure.
6) Localized treatments, unless in cases requiring surgery, are banned; they may cause the condition to shift its place and induce unsafe complications; but in no way do they ever produce permanent cures.
7) Conventional chemical treatment is to be considered in the following cases:
- As substitutive treatment, following a removal of a gland for instance, etc.
- In all chronic incurable cases, classified in terms of their level of health as belonging to Group D.
- To bring under control an acute situation that the prescriber’s level of competence didn’t allow him to thwart.
We call on practitioners and patients to join forces and support us in this endeavor to defend and restore true medicine.
The future of our societies and even the survival of our children may depend on it.
Dr Edouard Broussalian, Geneva, 18 Septembre 2012. (author of §7, an addition to the original text by Lippe)
Dr. Jean-Claude Ravalard, President of the association Planete Homeo, Les Herbiers, 19 Septembre 2012
Dr. Frédéric Rérolle, President of Homéopathes Sans Frontières France, Lyon, 19 Septembre 2012
Yes to Homeopathy, but the true one!
As a corollary to the Declaration we find that due to the lack of proper training, most of the current prescribers have never seriously studied nor even simply read a line of the Organon. The « Homeopathy » they practice is a petty caricature of the Art of Healing that tarnishes our reputation.
Chaos is what results from this confusion in homeopathy, which is damaging to the progress and development of our Art of Healing. This is not a new situation; it has always been the bane of homeopathy and therefore that of the sick.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone is free to treat his or her patients as they see fit, free to follow or not the laws of nature, but in this case we would be grateful to those who take this freedom to kindly recognize that homeopathy is defined by some very specific criteria and that accordingly they cannot call what they practice Homeopathy.
Today we take up the banner hoisted by Dr. Lippe in 1877 to rekindle the flame of true homeopathy. Had it not been for the struggle he led in his time, homeopathy would very likely have become extinct because of all the countless departures, simplifications and distortions of the legacy of Samuel Hahnemann.
The pharmaceutical industry is in power thanks to mass medicine and its huge profits. The quest for profit has replaced the search for truth. Only very few professionals dare to question the dogmas in question. They were taught not to think for themselves and only trust statistics; statistics which, for the most part, are fudged in the name of this odious collusion between science and business. It is truly a gangrene eating away at society at all levels, and morphing gradually into a dogmatist dictatorship that imposes yearly a new and increasingly coercive healthcare system on both patients and physicians.
Prescribe to soothe one’s anxiety, prescribe to avoid trouble, prescribe the latest and cutting edge to show that one is up to speed, prescribe to please one’s patients, prescribe because one has to prescribe something after all! That’s where we are today. Patients themselves say it: it is the medicine of fear.
Anything is excuse enough to medicate. This leads to the continuous administration for more than a century today of more and more powerful drugs.
Have we at all improved the health of the human species?
Rather the contrary, it is clear that all these chemicals that are ingested in colossal amounts ever do is add to the pollution of the planet and drive pathology to ever-deeper levels. The list of chronic diseases continues to grow. Patients are developing increasingly early pathologies that are increasingly serious, and that generally did not exist in the previous generation.
Faced with this alarming health degradation, it is our duty as homeopaths to make our voices heard. Yes, healing principles do exist. They are based on natural laws and they guide the physician in his prescriptions in an almost mathematical way.
Samuel Hahnemann revealed these principles and their application to the world through continuous updates to the Organon. In his masterful work, the fruit of 55 years of clinical research, Hahnemann does not depict a system resulting from a unique proposition as seen in physics, but a method consisting of a coherent set of theorems.
The Organon meets the biological reality, itself very different from that of physics or chemistry, where there is no absolute truth, only situations related to the subject himself, who is always unique.
The lack of an absolute reference frame led Albert Einstein to formulate Relativity and Samuel Hahnemann used the notion of Gestalt in medicine long before von Ehrenfels. There are unfortunately no clear-cut renderings of this term, it may be translated as « form, » yet it has a much richer sense, because in the act of perceiving one does not merely juxtapose an infinity of details, what one does is perceive global forms (Gestalt) that bring elements together. Unless your name is Mozart, you can well remember a melody, but never the structure of each musical note. This principle of Gestalt applies to the patient who cannot be defined except through the set of responses he or she exhibits to the environment, that is to say, by the juxtaposition of facts pertaining to him or her in a unique way. There is no single « Supreme symptom » that can dictate the choice of a drug. Likewise, Gestalt also shapes the Organon, consisting of about 300 aphorisms that must all be studied in order to understand homeopathy.